How to Design the Perfect Dream Home
Whether you’re remodeling your home or building a brand new home, you have so many decisions to make. What tile do you want? Where should your bathroom sink go? Do you want cabinets or open shelving in your kitchen? Where is the perfect spot for your refrigerator to go? All of these things affect the functionality of your home and can cause frustration in your day to day life. Here are a few tips to make sure you are completely satisfied with your new or renovated home!
- Ask your kids! This is a great way to get your family involved and depending on their age could give you a good laugh in the midst of the stress that comes with remodeling or building. Let them pick out some of the unique parts of your home.
- Listen to your designers. Chances are, you’ve done your research on the people that are designing and building your home. You picked them for a reason. You trust them. So when they make a suggestion, take it into serious consideration. They’ve seen a lot, so they know a lot. If they tell you that putting your refrigerator right across from your dishwasher is a bad idea, trust them!
- Pay attention to other homes. Before you start designing the layout, go visit other homes whether that’s friends houses, model homes, or open houses. Make notes on EVERYTHING. Things you like, dislike, are confused about. EVERYTHING. Take pictures as well. This will help your designer get a better idea of your likes and dislikes. A layout that is perfect for one family may be way off for another. Looking at other homes is a great way to learn your style.
- Think about the future. If you don’t have kids now, not having a bathtub isn’t an issue now, but if you want kids in the future you may want one. You also have to think about resale, but don’t let that alter your plans too much. Right now this is for you and your family, not a future family. Anything you choose ultimately can be changed in the future, so do what works best for you.
- Think about what you hate about your current living situation. Whether you live in a house, apartment, or townhome, there is going to be something you hate. That may be the layout, where the light switches are, or the fact that your laundry room is in the basement and the closets are upstairs. Make note of everything that bugs you!
- Decide what is most important to you. Make a list of everything you could possibly want, and then decide what is most important. This will make it easy for our designers to help you pick what will work best with the space and budget you have.
- Ask your friends. Ask everyone you know: what is the one thing you would change about your [home, kitchen, bathroom, whatever you’re designing]? You’d be surprised by the answers you get!
- Have a little fun. There is no rule book when it comes to your home. (okay, technically there are some laws involved, but you know what we mean.) If you want a slide going from the second floor to your living room, let’s do it! Think of the little things that will make your life easier, and do it! (Even if it’s not quite as cool as a slide in your living room) Things like adding a central vacuum system, a laundry shoot (why aren’t these popular anymore?!) or a custom bunk room for all your grandkids are all simple to add during construction and may make your life just a little easier!
Renovating or building a home is a great opportunity to make your daily life easier and taking the time to do research and decide what is best for you is extremely important. Our skilled and experienced team of designers are ready to make your dreams come true for your custom home. So whether you’re starting fresh or making your current home perfect, we hope you trust Jorndt Fahey to create it for you! Contact us today for a free consultation to get started today!